Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Day 4 - Eye On Zion!
Hiking in Zion is like going to church. You're enveloped by natural beauty and an overwhelming sense of sanctuary. God's handiwork is so evident here and the sights and experiences during our time here were extraordinary. The weather was about 15 degrees cooler than the average for this time of year which made the climbs so much more enjoyable. Kate & I picked an easy, yet beautiful trail (Emerald Pools & Grotto) and certainly enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately the trails were packed and the traversing was slow as about 200 other people were on the same trails! I had hopes of tackling Angels Landing - but certain legs weren't up for a 1500-ft ascent! Maybe on the next trip?
The elder Girl on Speed practiced restraint & quelled her desire to go-go-go! Kate has a beautiful way of encouraging you to pay attention to small details. I'm beginning to think this is her way of avoiding exertion, but we can call it "mindfulness"!!
We spent more than 5 hours in the park today - & that wasn't nearly enough! However, Bryce was calling & road repairs extended the drive time by at least an hour! So we bid our farewells to Zion. May decide to come back on our way to the North Rim on Wednesday ... I'm determined to conquer Angel's Landing!!
The drive from Zion to Bryce was majestic. Construction on the winding roads leading out from the park & through Zion tunnel set us back about an hour. But that gave us time to take in the views. I was glad to have my co-pilot along who could snap photos while I attempted to focus on the road!!
We stopped in Mt. Carmel Junction to refuel & met two teachers from California who were riding their bikes from California to Florida. They were on Day 13 of a journey that's expected to last until the end of July & had just completed a 10K foot climb. They've been training & planning for over a year. Kate & I said extra prayers for their safe travels & enjoyment!
The entrance to Bryce & its unusual hoodoos springs up without warning. We turned a bend and VOILA there they were in all their majestic beauty! Kate & I will be guests at Ruby's Inn for the next 2 days. It's a down-home western kinda place. Food is definitely NOT on the Happy Diet, so we'll have to make serious adjustments!
Time with Kate has been precious. We've had such wonderful opportunities for uninterrupted talk. Cell coverage is virtually non-existent, which is a plus. The weather has been perfect. We're constantly celebrating this amazing life we've been given & giving thanks for God's bounties!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment