Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Kitchen Sink....

How time flies when you're having fun and demolishing a kitchen! Kate and I have always prided ourselves as being "Explorer Girls" and figured that our fine track record of tent camping would easily prepare us for the adventures of home remodeling!

... But DANG we miss our kitchen sink!

It's been well over a month since a wave of nasty spring storms took out the windows in the wasted space previously known as our "mud room". I, of course, determined this was a clear message from the "Big Guy" that indeed it was time for the "Girls on Speed" to get an updated kitchen.

With the help (and extraordinary patience and skill) of our friend, SharonE, we're watching an incredible transformation of our favorite room! The slide show demonstrates the progression and, while we're still awaiting countertops, cabinet doors & finishing touches (oh yeah & the kitchen sink), I'm sure you'll agree that the end product will be worth the wait. Cabinetry was fashioned by our incredibly talented cousin, Mike. I'm hoping if the time comes & we decide to sell our place, the new owners won't mind if we pack 'em up!!

Through the disruption, dust, delays & disorder, I'm reminded that most mothers in the world live without a kitchen sink most days of most years. The inconvenience of having a microwave & toaster oven taking up space in our living room and a fridge poised in our TV room really is nothing when you consider that most of the world still must feed its children meager portions without electric cooking devices or refrigeration. Yes, I've grumbled a tad - but, I truly hope that when these blessed conveniences of modern life have once again been installed in our home, that I remember the struggles endured without them ... and do more than simply say prayers for those less fortunate.

My sincerest thanks to those who have helped by preparing meals, providing (literally) "fresh air", keeping a strong sense of humor! You've given me everything I need ... including the kitchen sink!!

Stay tuned for pics of the final product!

No comments: